Saturday, December 1

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Title: Unspoken
Author: Sarah Rees Brennan
Pages: 370
Publisher:  Random House

From the Back of the Book ~

Kami Glass loves someone she's never met...a boy she's talked to in her head ever since she was born.  She wasn't silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale.  Still, Kami hasn't suffered too much from not fitting in.  She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself.  Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries.  The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami.  Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown - in fact, she's determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing.  Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods?  What is her own mother hiding?  And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him?  Does she hate him?  Can she trust him?

Sarah Rees Brennan brings Gothic romance kicking and screaming into the twenty-first century with a heroine who can take care of herself, a boy who needs to be saved, and the magical forces that bring them together and tear them apart.



So, What did I think?

Unspoken is a pure reflection of Sarah Rees Brennan's contagious and witty personality.  It is funny and spooky all at once.  At times, it made me laugh so hard out loud that I had to explain that I wasn't crazy.  When Kami ended up in the well and Jared asked her jokingly if she happened to "have a very intelligent collie who might communicate through a systems of barks to her parents that little Kami is in the well", I absolutely lost it!

One thing I like best about Unspoken is that the book ended so that I wanted more yet I wasn't left with too many questions at the end.  It was a fulfilling cliffhanger, if that makes sense.  I guess the best way to describe it is that this chapter of Kami's life was complete and yet you feel you want to continue into the next chapter of her life.  I look forward to another story of risk taking adventures and maybe a new twist into Jared and Kami's relationship.  

The only thing I did not enjoy about this book was the fact there was some time lagging in the middle.  I felt it carried on too long before getting to the big story.  However, I feel that in that time, the author was able to build more on the character's relationships.  

I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves mystery and strange happenings.  If you are a Nancy Drew reader or maybe a Scooby Doo fan, you will love this book.   

I received this book from the author at YallFest in Charleston, SC on November 10, 2012.  Here are a few pics of the author as she signed books.



Visit Sarah Rees Brennan ~
email: sarahreesbrennan@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. Well, I love Nancy Drew and Scooby Doo (that rhymes!) so I'll probably love this one ;)

    Great review, Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you will love it! You can just here Brennan's quirky Irish personality in the whole book. I need to put it in your TBR hill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hill? I was thinking it was more of a mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you can see the bookcase beside the pile so ..I was thinking hill, but either way it's a huge pile. Not to mention the other books you have in my room.

    ReplyDelete