Thursday, September 13

Raven by Allison Van Diepen

Author:  Allison Van Diepen
Pages: 279
Genre:  YA Fiction
Published: Simon Pulse

From the Back of the Book ~

Zin dances with fire in every step, speaks in a honey-sweet voice, and has eyes that can peer into your soul. Nicole's friendship with him is the only thing that saves her from the boredom of school and the turmoil of her family life.  It's no wonder she is madly in love with him.  But she can't understand why he keeps her at a distance, even though she can feel his soul reaching out for hers.

Zin is like no guy Nicole has ever met, and he carries with him a very old secret.  When Nicole uncovers the truth, her love may be the only thing that can save him from it.

My Thoughts ~

If you like the Step Up movies or are familiar with dance at all, you are really going to enjoy this book.  The author is able to use dancing lingo to create for the readers a vivid picture of what's happening on the dance floor.  Her methods are a creative and fascinating new spin for the imagination.  It was a refreshing take to literature that I have yet to experience before.  I hope to read more books that include dancing.

Overall, this book was an enjoyable read.  It read  a lot different than most books I've read so it took some time to adjust.  By different, I mean it was really fast paced and could have used more detail to execute the plot.  The story line was unique and original.  I can't say that I have ever read any other books about the Jiang Sui; although, for the longest I thought they were just another type of vampire.

As far as the character's relationships, I feel there could have been more details to help develop their stories.  The lack of detail made it hard for me to believe the relationships.  It came across as a type of love at first sight book that almost seemed too unrealistic.  

I feel that this book should have been longer so that the reader could experience closure.  From what I can tell, this is a stand alone book though.

What it all boils down to is , if you are looking for some creative new ideas to add to your imagination, then this book would be a great start.  I want to thank Rachel @ http://wantedreaders.blogspot.com/ for my copy of Raven by Allison Van Diepen. To grab your copy visit Raven.

No comments:

Post a Comment