Saturday, October 20

Hidden by Sophie Jordan

Author: Sophie Jordan
Pages:260
Genre:YA Fantasy
Publisher: Harper Collins

On the Cover ~ 

A Dangerous Journey.  Shattered Bonds. Undying passion.  Jacinda was supposed to bond with Cassian, the "prince" of their pride. But she resisted her fate long before she fell in love with Will - a human and, worse, a hunter.  When she ran way with Will, it ended in disaster, with Cassian's sister, Miram, captured.  Weighted down by guilt, Jacinda knows she must rescue her to set things right. Yet to do so she will have to venture deep into the heart of enemy territory.

The only way Jacinda can reach Miram is by posing as a prisoner herself, though once she assumes that disquise, things quickly spiral out of her control.  As she learns more about her captors, she realizes that even if Will and Cassian can carry out their part of the plan, there's no guarantee they'll all make it out alive.  But what Jacinda never could have foreseen is that escaping would be only the beginning....

Loyalties are tested and sacrifices made in the explosive conclusion to Sophie Jordan's Firelight trilogy.





First off, let me tell you a little bit about myself.  I'm not the type of person that, when it comes to the last book of a trilogy, to read the book cover. Mainly because I don't want to spoil any suspicions or expectations about the book. So, with that being said, I went in to this book blind having read it over a year ago.  Sometimes, an author has a way of picking up where the last book left off by putting in little refresher of what was going on.  Hidden was different.  This is one of those books where I should have went back and reread Vanish so that I could remember exactly what was happening. Without a clear understanding of the scene, I admit I started this book pretty confused.  It starts out right in the middle of action.  The pace, from there, was back and forth.  One minute it would be moving along pretty fast and the next minute it would linger over a situation, becoming a bit boring for me.

I hate to admit it, but out of all the books in this series, this was the worst.  Don't get me wrong!  It wasn't bad.  It was just not all I had hoped it would be.  The relationships, of course, were already developed from the previous books; but, to me, this book kind of watered down the relationship between Jacinda and Will.  It was almost as if Will wasn't as important to her as the previous books made out.  Hidden put more emphasis on making the reader have feelings for Cassian.  Which worked!  I almost wanted her to end up with Cassian instead of Will, which after spending the last two books totally in love with Will, would have been very disappointing. 

One thing I noticed about this series was that the author introduced several new draki and directions that she could spin-off into a new series.  I know I would like to learn more about the grey draki and his pride or the other prides in general for that matter. I hope Sophie Jordan considers making another series to give us some more about the prides and what they are like.

Overall, this was a good book.  It wasn't fantastic like I had expected but it wasn't horrible either.  The ending was resolved and I felt the series was worth the read. If you have an opinion, let me know! I love comments!

To learn more about Sophie Jordan and the Firelight series and to enter a Firelight SWAG contest visit: http://www.sophiejordan.net/ya/news.html

 

No comments:

Post a Comment